Posted in Travel on Mar 12th, 2012 | 0 comments
If you are really fond of road trips, I think this article will be useful to you. Visita Iglesia is a tradition of visiting seven churches and it is done during maundy Thursday of Holy Week.
Here are some suggestions of churches that you can visit in the province of Batangas. I made it a point to leave Manila very early so I can test if its possible to visit all the 7 churches in one day.
Before anything else, here are some tips to prepare yourself for a scenic and solemn trip.
- Bring a map with you at all times, especially if you are not familiar with the place.
- Update gadgets such as android phones and tablets, that are equipped with GPS or loaded with maps because these can be helpful.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good condition. Check tires, bring water for your radiator, and fill your gas tank. It would take approximately 45 liters of gasoline to complete the trip.
- Wear comfortable to fight the raging heat of summer. Pack extra clothes just in case and don’t forget to bring enough drinking water.
- Ask directions from locals if you get lost. Jeepney and tricycle drivers or policemen are often good with directions since they know their way around the place. To be sure, try to ask at least 2 people to verify directions.
Together with some of my friends, we started our trip from Muntinlupa and used the Quezon-Laguna route to reach our destination — San Juan, Batangas. We left Muntinlupa by 4:00am in order to catch the opening of the first church on our list. Churches usually opens at 6:00am.
Here’s the map I’ve made:
View BATANGAS VISITA IGLESIA ROUTE IDEA FROM MANILA in a larger map
- San Juan Nepomoceno, San Juan Batangas
- San Sebastian Cathedral, Lipa Batangas
- San Jose Patriarco Parish Church, San Jose, Batangas
- Immaculada Concepcion Minor Basilica, Batangas City, Batangas
- Immaculada Concepcion Parish Church, Bauan, Batangas/li>
- San Martin de Tours Minor Basilica, Taal, Batangas
- Our Lady of Caysasay Shrine, Taal, Batangas
- San Rafael Arcangel Parish Church, Calaca, Batangas
- Immaculada Concepcion Parish Church, Balayan, Batangas
(Right click on the church’s name and select “Open link in new tab” to see more photos.)
Our trip ended in Balayan, Batangas. We were relatively close to Tagaytay City so we decided to have dinner there and went home after and used the Tagaytay-Sta. Rosa route going back to Manila.
Photos of Batangas Churches
(Click image to enlarge)