Posted in Food, Recipes
on Dec 6th, 2012 | 0 comments
I was really shocked that I ran out of rice at home. I know it’s really hard to think of something to cook without pairing it to steam rice. Asians especially Filipinos are really fond of pairing rice to their viand of food.
Good thing I have lots of stocks of pastas at home and now my problem is, what sauce can I paired with my spaghetti noodles. hmm There! Vigan Longganisa! I remember that a friend of mine bought me longganisa because he knows that one of my favorite locally made sausage is Vigan Longganisa.
Vigan Longganisa is a garlicky sausage made from Vigan Ilocos Sur, northern part of the Philippines. Filipinos traditionally eats this during breakfast. One thing I like Vigan Longganisa is the versatility. It can be paired with rice, it can be made as a sandwich or even with pasta.
It’s easy to prepare this recipe. I know almost all of the ingredients are available in your cubboards except for the Vigan Longganisa. I know its kinda hard to get the right brand of Vigan Longganisa. You can only get the authentic one in Vigan City, Ilocos Norte.
Now here’s the Vigan Longganisa Pasta Recipe:
- 400 grams spaghetti noodles (you can use fettuccine or angles hair if you want)
- 6-8 pcs Vigan Longganisa
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 6-8 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 chicken cube
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 lemon quartered (use for garnishing and add sour taste)
For the Pasta:
- In a large pot or casserole, bring water to a boil then add salt, cooking oil and linguine. Let boil for 10-12 minutes or until al dente stage. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large pan, cook longganisa in water until water evaporates.
- Note: you have to prick the sausages for the water and oil to get out and cook it with its own oil. (traditionally way of cooking longganisa)
- While cooking the longganisa, slice and skinned the sausages and cook them till it becomes brown.
- Drip and set the longganisa meat aside.
- In the same pan, saute the garlic in Olive Oil.
- Add the Italian seasoning, chopped parsley and chicken cube.
- Add the Vigan Longganisa to the pan. Cook the meat until it is brown. Season it with salt & pepper.
- Set the heat to low and drip dry again the longganisa meat and set them aside.
- In the remaining oil and spices, gently mix and toss the pasta until noodles are well-coated with the sauce.
- Serve and top it with longganisa meat and drizzle them with lemon juice to taste.