Posted in Food, Recipes
on Dec 16th, 2012 | 0 comments
In the Philippines, I notice that they are not really fond of mashing potatoes and I don’t know why. I just notice it, been thinking of a popular Filipino viand that comes with mashed potatoes. Well anyway, Here’s one of my favorite recipes that I’ve got from Chef Sandy Daza during his cooking demo at the Maya Kitchen in Makati, and I’m planning to serve shepherd’s pie or cottage pie on my Noche Buena on Christmas eve. I think for us, this is the easiest and perfect Noche Buena recipe to be served during Christmas eve.
- 1kg of ground beef
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 big potatoes
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 beef cube
- 1 small can of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
- Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 cup) in large frying pan.
- Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins).
- Sauté sliced mushrooms together with the onions and garlic (5 mins).
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper.
- Add worcesterchire sauce. Add the beef cube and water and stir till cube disolves
- uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
- Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.
- Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely.
- Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes).
BONGGANG PASKO SA INYONG LAHAT!!!