Posted in Food, Recipes
on Aug 17th, 2011 | 1 comment
I’m really new in preparing Bechamel sauce and it’s a good thing that I was able to attend a Greek cooking demonstration by CYMA at the Maya Kitchen in Makati.
The Maya Kitchen Culinary Center regularly holds these cooking demos every Tuesday to Saturday at 8th floor Liberty Building, 835 A. Arnaiz Avenue, Makati City. You can call then at 8921185 or 5011 local 108 to know their schedule.
One of the dishes I saw during that day was the Moussaka, a Greek recipe that includes Bechamel sauce. Moussaka is kinda similar to Lasagna but the difference here is, instead of using pasta, it uses sliced eggplants for the layers.
And I’m glad that I was able to finally learn how to make bechamel sauce, because it’s now easier for me to make lasagna. Below is my very own lasagna with bechamel sauce recipe.
Pasta and Meat Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 lbs or 8 pcs Lasagna Pasta
- 1/2 kg of ground beef
- 1 medium head white onion minced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 can of mushroom head quartered
- 1 big can or 751g of Hunts meat sauce
- salt pepper to taste
- 1 stick or 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 box of all purpose cream
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup of grated quick melt cheese
- 3 tbsp of All Purpose Flour
- salt and pepper to taste
Pasta and Meat Sauce
- Cook lasagna according to the package direction and drain… set aside
- Saute garlic and onions and add the ground beef and cook it for 10 minutes.
- Add quartered mushrooms, mix and simmer for another 5 more minutes.
- Add the meat sauce and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste then let it cool… set aside.
- Melt the butter on a slow heat
- Add flour one table spoon at a time. mix them until free of lumps
- Add milk and cream continue mixing till simmer
- Temper the eggs (beat the eggs and add 2 big serving spoon of mixture – at least 1 big serving spoon of mixture at a time and continue to beat.)
- Add the tempered eggs to the mixture and stir them well to simmer.
- Add grated quick-melt cheese and stir till melted.
- Simmer until thick
- Season them with salt and pepper.
Note: you can add more cheese if you want
Layering and Baking:
- Butter a large rectangular baking pan or Pyrex
- Lay the first layer of the pasta
- Spread the meat sauce evenly and put some bechamel sauce
- Lay the second layer of pasta on top of the meat sauce and spread bechamel sauce on desired thickness evenly
- Lay again the third layer of pasta on top of the bechamel sauce and put the remaining meat and bechamel sauce on top
- And grate some more cheese if desired.
- Preheat oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees Celsius
- Cover the rectangular pan with aluminum foil and bake it for 60 minutes.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes and serve.